Friday, September 16, 2005

Geekin'

At the risk of seeming a complete geek in these perilous times, tonight I find myself bothering to blog about ... Google.

Yet somehow it seems to me worth a comment about the fact that they've launched a personalized home page option -- competing directly with search rivals like Yahoo!, MSN, and excite.com, and putting aside -- at least, optionally -- the very simplicity that once made Google ... Google.

That said, once I clicked on the new Personalized link in the upper-right hand corner of the good-old Google interface, I found myself intrigued by the options, the clean layout (some things have not, apparently, gone by the wayside), and (thank Heaven) the complete lack of those wretched AdWords.

Then I remembered signing up for a Google group once upon a time (which incidentally added to my spam quotient immensely, thankee) and realized that I wouldn't have to register all over again, just recall my former password. And, as Ray Romano might say, wa-la. I now have a personalized Google home page. And ... I like it.

No, I'm not running out to sign up for gmail -- I'm not comfortable with having my email messages scanned for "relevant" advertising purposes or any other. But I think I may actually switch to the personalized home page as my initial landing spot when I connect to the Internets.

Now, having spammed this blog entry with, oh, something like a half-dozen instances of the G word, I wonder whether SharedYes will suddenly start having more hits ...

Tess

2 Comments:

At 9/20/2005 10:06 AM, Blogger MM said...

This is really just a test of the three-days-long effort to enable a 3rd person to post and comment on the Shared Yes site.

Talk about Geekin'! It's amazing the number of dumb technical hoops you have to jump through if you don't have the very most current software and/or computer.

Can you imagine if cars or sewing machines were obsolete every five or seven years? Because roads and clothing had so fundamentally changed in that span of time that the last generation of cars and sewing machines were simply too primitive to use without extensive retrofitting?!

Sheesh!

 
At 9/26/2005 12:12 AM, Blogger Tess said...

Ernest! I was wondering when we'd hear from you ... ;)

Tess (who is seriously considering changing her moniker to Gwendolyn, or perhaps Cecily, just to fit in ...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home